Suggest treatment for constant heaviness in chest and throat

Posted on Wed, 3 Sep 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi

I am a 41 year old male and have recently been experiencing heaviness in chest and throat and breathlessness for about 4 months now .I had all respiritory tests come back clear and I had a endoscopy and they found gastritis esophagitis and moderate reflux.And bile in the stomach which is probably because I had my gallbladder removed 18 months ago..

I have increased my lansoprazole to 30mg twice a day for the last 2 weeks and now take metocloramide..I eat very well but im still suffering with this constant.. And now I also I am also experiencing terrible breathlessness EVERY time I lay down and I get a lump in throat and I cant even sleep now because of this..

My question is…..Can this get better in time and if so how long does this take roughly

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue lansaprazole + Lifestyle changes

Detailed Answer:
Reflux does get better with time, I would advise you continue lansaprazole twice a day for at least weeks. Along with this you need some lifestyle modifications- regular exercise ( 20- 30 min walk around 4 times a week), avoid Fried food, mint, chocolate, red meat and carbonated drinks.If you drink tea or coffee reduce consumption to less than 3 cups per day avoid alcohol and tobacco. Avoid lying down for a least 3 hours after a meal. these changes along with lansoprazole should help to control your reflux.
In case your symptoms persist at the end of 8 weeks you will need further tests to evaluate the reflux.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Samir Patil 4 hours later
Hi. I used to use cocaine up till 3 weeks ago. Would that have exaberated the reflux
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cocaine doesn't increase reflux

Detailed Answer:
Cocaine can cause nausea and abdominal pain, but shouldn't increase the reflux. It can cause chest pain which is not related to reflux. I would advise against using cocaine again though.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Sorry to bother you again
Just one last question
Every time i lay dow i get the lump in throat and breathlessness. Can you tell me if this is to do with my sphincter valve not working properly or would they have checked this on the endoscopy.
Also is this something that can also get better because i feel so ill thinking that i will never be able to sleep properly again
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lump is because of reflux

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

The lump and breathlessness could be due to reflux of stomach contents into the esophagus. Endoscopy cannot detect a loose lower esophageal valve. In case your symptoms persist for more than 8 weeks on medications then I would suggest an esophageal manometry which will asses the function of the sphincter and help plan further treatment.

Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Samir Patil 16 minutes later
But this can get better and strengthen in time though

regards
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes can improve with time

Detailed Answer:
In 90 percent of reflux symptoms improve with medications. So I would advise you to wait for 8 weeks.
Follow up: Dr. Samir Patil 2 hours later
I have been taking metoclopramide 10mg 3x daily but have been so drowsy/sleepy because of these. Are there any others that you reccomend that do the same because im so drained for about 4 hours after
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
can switch

Detailed Answer:
Hello if you are having problems wit metoclopramide I would adive to try changing to domperidone / ondansetron. Please consult your doctor for a prescription
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Samir Patil

Gastroenterologist