Suggest treatment for constant fever while having low platelet count

Dr. Naveen Kumar

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi

My daughter who is just 5 years old, is suffering from continius fever from last 5 days. The fever at occasion has touched 104 deg F. While she is served with prescribed medicines such as Ibugesic etc, the fever subsides but keep coming back.
Today we had done the blood check and the Pediatrician locally advised, it is due to low platelet count that the issue is persistent. Request yiur your expert advice in diagnosis
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
find the answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic, I share your concern and I will try to help you out in best possible way.
The description you have given regarding symptoms and blood report, mekes me come to a diagnosis of acute viral fever, the common viral fevers that cause such symptoms including low platelet count are, Dengue fever,chikungunya, etc..
Bit there is no need to worry as your daughter's condition is still stable and symptomatic treatment is already goin on, which is the mainstay treatment of any viral fever.
But I do recommend you to repeat platelet count everyday for next 3 days to see whether there is an improvement in platelet count, as deterioration in platelet count warrants immediate admission to hospital and blood transfusion.
So continue same treatment and monitor platelet count.
Hope this clarifies your doubts. Revert back to me if you have follow up qeries.

Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar