Suggest treatment for constant diarrhea and stomach pain after colonoscopy

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Had colonoscopy and egd last week results were fine as far as I know still have stomach pains like gall bladder attack but I don't have a gall bladder and still have constant diarrhea thank goodness I work overnight shift but I can't go out with my friends for fear diarrhea will hit I just don't know what to do anymore if I know something is coming up I need to attend I just don't eat anything the day of don't get me wrong I can afford to not eat but I would like to go out and enjoy myself every once in awhile any suggestions
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IBS symptoms likely

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. With normal work up and colonoscopy, these are typical findings of functional bowel disease like IBS diarrhea predominant in your case.

No doubt postprandial episodes of bowel movements are problematic. Diet and lifestyle modifications surely help. Night shifts have played a very important role in worsening your symptoms as a good rest and sound sleep is important in bowel functions maintenance. Use peppermint and yogurt in every meal. Former is the best antispasmodic and later is the best probiotic. Eat small frequent meals, avoid fatty products and dairy products. Avoid processed and canned products. Avoid chocolates and sweets. Avoid smoking or any other triggering food like alcohol. beverage or soda or caffeine etc. Eat more fiber, drink more fluids and and prefer natural foods like fresh fruits and vegetables etc. Use bowel motility reducing medications like loperamide etc for the relief of diarrhea. BRAT diet ( banana, rice , apple sauce and toast) with pomegranate juices and green tea etc also help the diarrhea and IBS symptoms.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 59 minutes later
doesn't really help with the stomach pains thought ibs alternated between constipation and diarrhea I'm never constipated do I follow up with my primary Dr or gi dr this is confusing to me the reason we started all this was elevated wbc alk phos and elevated eosoniphils plus the belly pain yet still really no answers
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up to rule out pathologies. COuld still be IBS

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Now that you mentioned increased WBC count , suspicion of bowel infections should be ruled out. A stool routine exam and antibiotics course should be considered. Abdominal cramps can be attributed to that.

regarding the IBS, ibs can be either diarrhea predominant, constipation predominant or alternating constipation with diarrhea.

These raised cell count and eosinophil count should be worked up though. Stool examination and antigen assessment for different organisms and prophylactic deworming ( raised eosinophils) should be considered too. Talk to your GI doctor and let them help yu in this regard.

If the diarrhea still persists, work up for other causes of chronic diarrhea like hydrogen breath test, lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance should also be considered.

I hope it helps.
Khan