Suggest treatment for conjunctivitis

Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Nov 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: hello Dr, can you plz suggest a cure for conjunctivitis ?

regards,
ps
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment for Conjuctivitis.

Detailed Answer:
There are many causes for Conjuctivitis. The most common cause would be Viral infection. But would like to know the symptoms you are suffering with.

My suggestion for Bacterial Conjunctivitis would be.

1. Clean discharge with sterile swab.
2. Ofloxacin 3 drops 6th hourly.
3. Neosporin eye ointment at bedtime.
4. Put on dark glass at day time and avoid mixing with others do not allow sharing your linen towel and bed with others.
5. Do-not go to your work place till you are cured.
6. For pain and discomfort can take some analgesics.

Symptomatic treatment for any other problem cure will be with proper treatment. If it gains resistant to antibiotic then it may have recurrences. In such cases culture and sensitivity of discharge may be done.

In cases of viral conjuctivitis you can follow the above measures with antibiotics drops to prevent any secondary bacterial infections and is self limiting and would resolves itself within a week.

Please let me know what are the symptoms you are suffering with and duration of this problem.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 13 hours later
I have been using ciplox drops and ointment. it's been there since Wednesday morning. how long does it take to cure ?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
treatment with ciprofloxacin drop and ointment.

Detailed Answer:
wait for at least one week.it is not possible to define cure. it will be clinical an you will feel normal without any symptom.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju