Suggest treatment for congestion and bad cough at night
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
It is likely that the pain is due to pleuritic chest pain (pleurisy).
The pleura are lining on the outside of the lung.
They can sometimes become inflamed. When this occurs, it results in pain that is worse with coughing/laughing/sneezing.
This inflammation can occur in chest infections though there are other causes as well.
These other causes are not likely relevant in your case.
Treatment would involve : (1)reducing the coughing to prevent aggravation/worsening- a cough suppressant would help with this
OTC cough/cold meds would have a suppressant- dextromethorphan
(2)If the cough is wet, a mucolytic (helps break up the mucus) would help eg guaifenesin, mucomyst
(3)anti inflammatory pain killer such as ibuprofen, cataflam, naproxen or aspirin would help relieve the inflammation and pain
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for sinusitus and coughing
- Suggest treatment for severe coughing
- Suggest treatment for allergic cough
- Treatment and cure for Night cough
- Suggest treatment for productive cough
- What treatment is suggested for cough
- Suggest treatment for cold and cough
- Suggest treatment for wheezing cough
- Suggest treatment for cough and nasal congestion
- Suggest treatment for persistent cough