Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
185 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for conduct disorder in a child

Answered by
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe


Practicing since :2014

Answered : 2242 Questions

Posted on Fri, 2 Dec 2016 in Mental Health
Question: my seven year old son has a lot of serious behavior problems. how can we tell if he has conduct disorder
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Conduct disorder is diagnosed by meeting at least three of the following criteria:

Aggression to people and animals

(1) often bullies, threatens, or intimidates others
(2) often initiates physical fights
(3) has used a weapon that can cause serious physical harm to others (e.g., abat, XXXXXXX broken bottle, knife, gun)
(4) has been physically cruel to people
(5) has been physically cruel to animals
(6) has stolen while confronting a victim (e.g., mugging, purse snatching, extortion, armed robbery)
(7) has forced someone into sexual activity

Destruction of property

(8) has deliberately engaged in fire setting with the intention of causing serious damage
(9) has deliberately destroyed others' property (other than by fire setting)

Deceitfulness or theft

(10) has broken into someone else's house, building, or car
(11) often lies to obtain goods or favors or to avoid obligations (i.e., "cons" others)
(12) has stolen items of nontrivial value without confronting a victim (e.g., shoplifting, but without breaking and entering; forgery)

Serious violations of rules

(13) often stays out at night despite parental prohibitions, beginning before age 13 years
(14) has run away from home overnight at least twice while living in parental or parental surrogate home (or once without returning for a lengthy period)
(15) is often truant from school, beginning before age 13 years

He should meet with a psychiatrist in-person for an evaluation and for therapy as treatment.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States ( For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Conduct disorder

doctor1 MD

I have a 10 year old who seems to have outburst and seems to be hard to get along with it seems to be just getting started is this a type of...

doctor1 MD

My son is a 12+ yrs. boy with conduct disorder patient. He is taking medicine DIVAA OD 750 mg once in the evening and QUTAN 25 mg twice daily....

doctor1 MD

Does it a sign of schizophrenia if a kid talks by himself, cursed and even refuses to obey when someone ask or do form him?

doctor1 MD

Hi my 18yr old daughter will be sitting for her final exams soon, her teachers have indicated that during class time and tests she copes very well...

doctor1 MD

I've been having depression issues for quite a long time now. At first, it wasn't much of a problem but it's getting harder and harder day by day....

doctor1 MD

I am concerned that my grandson - 13- is s sociopath. He has a great power to manipulate. He will purposely behave in a way to get his mother...