Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

172 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for commotio retinae following a injury in car crash

Answered by
Dr. Dadapeer K


Practicing since :2003

Answered : 5709 Questions

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi,
I was in a car crash which rolled multiple times just over 2 months ago. At the time i had severe bleeding, which covered all of the whites of my eyes. I have been diagnosed with commotio retinae to the right eye. The blurring is quite central to the vision of my eye and takes up about 5 % of my vision. I have had some small reduction in the size of the blurred area. My ophthalmologist has now referred me to an eye surgeon who is a retinal specialist and i am to have an FFA test.

I understand that this type of thing can typically take 1-3 months to clear up spontaneously.

Looking for a little confirmation of this, also wondering what, if any, issues with my vision i may experience in the future.
Also, risks of playing contacts sports ??
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Commotio retinae will resolve by 3-4 months.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and medical retina specialist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having commotio retinae following a injury in car crash.
Commotio retinae is because of blunt injury to retina and it occurs as a result of injury to outer layers of retina.
Most of them will resolve over 3-4 months with total recovery of vision. However rarely the vision may be decreased because of complications like macular edema, macular hole, choroidal neovascular membrane....
These can be prevented if noted earlier.
Hence your ophthalmologist has referred you to retina specialist.
No need to worry as these are not very common. But it is better to watch for them and treat them if at all they develop.

Once the condition resolves completely this will not cause any problem for playing sports.

Hence no need to worry do get back to me with fundus fluorescein angiography report.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Blunt injury

doctor1 MD

I fell off a ladder pretty high up and I went to the ER and when I got home I went to my family DR. but now I can put in a hard days work cause I cough and I can hardly talk no more than a whisper and I feel like I am not going to make it please...

doctor1 MD

Hello. During my 22 years in the military in 1978 I had a very heavy tent pole fall on my right shoulder. It fractured my right index finger (1st) and tore a tendon in my shoulder. Over the years my right shoulder has become more of a problem >Dx:...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my upper right side of my abdomin. What could it be?

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing pain in my left side/back of my waist.The pain is still tolerable.I felt this pain after i bump my left waist in our kitchen counter 2 weeks ago.I usually feel the pain during early evening. I drink medicine for pain before going to bed. Then i don t feel pain in the morning. I am 64 yrs old.

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I had a colposcopy done last friday but had sex that tuesday same week and im tryinh to concieve i had very light spotting for 3 days and it went away. Now I had sex again yesterday nighy which was Thursday and now im have light bleeding again is this normal is this going to ruin my chances on getting pregnant?

doctor1 MD

hi there,
i took a single dose of 3500 mg of acetaminophen five or six days ago. since then, i started experiencing a pain on the right side of my ribcage, radiating to the stomach. it's not so sharp, but it's quite annoying and sometimes wakes me up at night. it also tends to hurt more when i don't eat.

i also have an eating disorder. i've never been diagnosed, but it's clear that something's wrong. i've lost thirty pounds during the summer, but gained back ten since school started because of binging and purging multiple times a day. my bmi is about 18.

i've had an endoscopy two months ago because of an eating disorder related accident where the toothbrush i used to make me purge slipped down my oesophagus. quite an uncommon thing, i know. since then, i seem to have a lot of stomach pains and heartburns.

i was wondering if i should see someone.
please excuse the mistakes i might have done, english isn't my mother tongue.
and thanks for the answer!

doctor1 MD

Hi thanks. First off I had severe back pain that I was told fibromyalgia! Then upon MRI showed 3 discs.(l5,s1)9mm compress nerve by at least 25%. The other 2 were left at 5mm(l3-4,l3-5).so bedridden months lost job, car accident recently showing sprain neck n exasperated surgery area. After much convincing I finally have MRI w dye this week. Only thing is mt thoracic area is I'd constant pain. Not nerve shooting pain but sore n chronic and the s1 is hurting bad. I try to move about but can't stand having to take norcos(6a day) doesn't touch the pain. Of course depression follows. I guess I want to know is why would dr order c and L but not t?