Suggest treatment for commotio retinae following a injury in car crash

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi,
I was in a car crash which rolled multiple times just over 2 months ago. At the time i had severe bleeding, which covered all of the whites of my eyes. I have been diagnosed with commotio retinae to the right eye. The blurring is quite central to the vision of my eye and takes up about 5 % of my vision. I have had some small reduction in the size of the blurred area. My ophthalmologist has now referred me to an eye surgeon who is a retinal specialist and i am to have an FFA test.

I understand that this type of thing can typically take 1-3 months to clear up spontaneously.

Looking for a little confirmation of this, also wondering what, if any, issues with my vision i may experience in the future.
Also, risks of playing contacts sports ??
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Commotio retinae will resolve by 3-4 months.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and medical retina specialist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having commotio retinae following a injury in car crash.
Commotio retinae is because of blunt injury to retina and it occurs as a result of injury to outer layers of retina.
Most of them will resolve over 3-4 months with total recovery of vision. However rarely the vision may be decreased because of complications like macular edema, macular hole, choroidal neovascular membrane....
These can be prevented if noted earlier.
Hence your ophthalmologist has referred you to retina specialist.
No need to worry as these are not very common. But it is better to watch for them and treat them if at all they develop.

Once the condition resolves completely this will not cause any problem for playing sports.

Hence no need to worry do get back to me with fundus fluorescein angiography report.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari