Suggest treatment for common cold while on Amoxicillin

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My sickness started as a common cold which lasted for 5 days. Seen a urgent care doctor who prescribed Amoxicillin 500 mg 3x/day. I took the medications for for 3 days, not better, but worse...more coughing, stuffy nose which prevent me from sleeping.
I went back to the clinic, seen by another doctor who prescribed ZPack. This is day 3, the coughing, stuffy nose and chest congestion continue.
I'm miserable, please help!
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lower respiratory tract infection - x-ray, sputum & blood tests

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.
Based on your symptoms, I believe you have a lower respiratory tract infection.

Would you clarify a few things for me, please ?
*have you had or do you have a fever ?
*what color is the sputum /phlegm ?
*have you had similar symptoms before ?

*do you have any breathing difficulty, throat pain, headache ? Is the breathing noisy ?
*when is the cough worse ? When you sleep or early in the morning or while you eat ?

*do you have any other medical issues or take any medications ?
*have you had any tests done ? Blood tests, sputum test or an X-ray ? If yes, please let me know the results.

*any history of smoking ?
*any history of allergies ?
*do you have any pets ?
*any recent travel ?
*what else did the doctor prescribe, other than antibiotics ?

I'd recommend :
- blood tests (complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, serum Creatinine, SGPT, SGOT)
-Urine analysis
-sputum test and culture with sensitivity (first morning sample is best. Get the collection cup in advance and cough up as much as you can)
-chest X-ray

Based on these, a proper diagnosis can be made. The fact that the current antibiotics are not helping necessitates further testing or change in treatment. I urge you to discuss this with your physician.

In the meantime, I'd suggest :

- Steam inhalation, thrice a day with eucalyptus oil (a few drops)

- plenty of water intake (if not medically contraindicated by other coexisting illness). Sip warm water through the day. A brew with ginger & fennel seeds helps with the Inflammation.

- garlic is a natural Mucolytic. Saute 3 pods lightly in few drops of oil & have twice a day.
- boil milk (100ml) with a pinch or two of turmeric powder. Have this twice a day with a teaspoon of honey (just before bed).

-use a disposable face mask while you sleep at night. This helps to keep the air you breathe in a little warm and moist.

These should help soothe the symptoms. If viral infection, symptoms should get better in another week. However, bacterial infection needs to be ruled out and support should be given to help you cope with the symptoms.

Hope this helps and you feel better soon.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee