Suggest treatment for common cold and stuffy nose in an infant

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: hi I have 6 months old baby boy. ha has a running nose and not able to sleep due nose congestion. if we keep the baby on the shoulder he is relieved. yesterday whole night we had to do that. can you suggest what needs to be done. also the baby just recovered from ear infection.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Common cold and nasal congestion

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

It seems your baby is suffering from common cold and stuffy nose. It is very usual for babies till 6-7 months of age to suffer like this when there is stuffy nose. They will be very irritable in lying down position...this happens because they are obligate nose breathers. this means that till this age the babies cannot or do not know to breathe through the mouth if their nose is blocked.

Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do.

For cold you can use Cetrizine at 0.25mg/kg/dose every 12 hourly for 3 days.

For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.

If you can get back to me with the weight of your kid, I would be glad to suggest you proper formulations.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari