Suggest treatment for colon incontinence

Posted on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What would you recommend to fix a colon incontinence for an 82 year old woman? The lady had a hysterectomy in her twenties.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tab Loperamide

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

IntoneMV was approved by the FDA recently, it is a home based therapy for bowel and urinary incontinence. However the effectiveness of it is still under question as the product is still very new.
It is very difficult to treat Bowel incontinence medically, I recommend the best known drug for it, Tab Loperamide twice daily. However it has several side effects like bloating of the stomach, constipation and stomach discomfort. It might also aggravate stomach infections

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist