Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

130 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for collapse of femoral head

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 11335 Questions

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Please let me know all about it
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
Your right hip has undergone necrosis without a collapse of femoral head.
Treatment involves avoiding weight bearing on the leg and medicines like lovastatin anticoagulants bisphosphonates and vasodilators are used. These do not reverse the disease process to a large extent but retard the further progression of the problem. In case the disease progresses and femur head shows a collapse or persistent pain is there then surgical treatment like arthroplasty or hip replacement is considered. Core decompression surgery can help in delaying the disease progression.
Do consult your orthopedician and the treatment can be planned according to the response to the medical drugs.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Femur head

doctor1 MD

Dr. With osteoporosis and flat back syndrome following damaging decompression surgery that did not fuse successfully, I have taken Tramadol 75 gm over many months especially in cool weather. It has turned out to be the only antidepressant that...

doctor1 MD

Can a 1.2 cm cyst on the femoral head/ acetabulum cause horrible hip and groin pain?

doctor1 MD

in childhood i met with accident there was septic dislocation. Surgery was done for dislocation 1983. after two years again one more surgery sequestronomy was done in 1985. Now again i feel pain in hip.
Xray show loss of joint space and femur head shape has changed.
without surgery there is treatement for this

doctor1 MD

I'm a patient of ANFH ( Avascular Necrosis of Femur Head ) in China. My problem is caused by the use of Glucocorticoid for the cure of Acute Myelitis in February´╝î2013. I'm in the stage of I or IIA. I haven't felt the pain of my hip joint till now....

doctor1 MD

Age 44,Male,Ht.173cm,slim, In 1984,fallen from cycle?hairline fracture of Lt.femur for 45 days.after 1 yr pain at Lt hip Jt. Drs misjudged .In1988 diagnosis was Avascular necrosis of Lt no pain,but Xray show necrosis of head,half head reduced,treatment? please.literature,on line site

doctor1 MD

my cousin has the following report;

right hip shows cortical irregularity of femoral head with subarticular cysts which shows attenuation value of 48 HU. Joint space is reduced" the conclusion is " Features are either of ineffective pathology or Aseptic necrosis."

Pls explain the problem and what and where in north india could be treated