Suggest treatment for colic in an infant

Posted on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 in Child Health
Question: hi doc.
i have a baby of 25 days. she cries a lot. eveytime i feed her i heard his stomach make noise. she has colic. i have try infacol and gripe water. it relieves her a little. she is refusing to take formula drink and she wants only breastfeeding. i think her stomach is not full thats y she cries a lot. i hav even pumped my milk to 90ml to feed. she knows the taste and drinks all but still she doesnt stop crying..... please help. At night its nightmare with her. We DONT SLEEP. please help doc
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This evening colic

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
This is called evening colic and is quite common in this age group. This happens when the baby sucks at the breast very fast and in eagerness to drink milk will gulp in air too. Unless the air comes out like burping or flatus this discomfort will be there and next time check if she is sucking too fast and gulping in air too. You will be more convinced. Usually I don't advice any medicines for this as they give only temporary relief.
The two best ways to relieve this distress is -
1. Do not put her in lying position after feeding till she burps out the swallowed air.
2. If she is still crying - put her in prone position and keep patting her back gently so that she passes off the flatus and gets relieved.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology