• question-icon

Suggest treatment for colic and mild ear infection in a child

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi sir
my 8 month baby girl recently started to sleep in pram she cries when i took her to the bed. she recently has had mild ear infection for which she was on antibiotics. but on recent check up with GP she recovered from the infection .We are planning to make a trip to XXXXXXX so if she continued to be sleeping in pram its hard for me .first i thought she feels comfort i head up position due to infection.so i waited for her to recover from infection. I will be grateful to you if you could give me a suggestion to stop this habit
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gradual conditioning

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

I understand your problem. I doubt her preference to sleep in the pram has very much to do with her ear infection. Babies prefer to be in a moving, rocking pram, rather than in a static confined bed where they feel lonely, isolated and bored.

It is however not a good habit and should not be encouraged because she is growing and her body needs space. On the other hand, abruptly changing her habits is not a good idea either as this would make her create bad associations to the bed.

I suggest you gradually leave her in her bed an increasing amount of time every time you put her there. There is no guarantee it will work, as babies are persistent in what they like and prefer. There is also the possibility she will outgrow the desire to stay in the pram and opt for the more spacious and comfy bed as she grows. Either way, do not force into anything.
I hope this helps.
I'd be happy to answer any further questions you might have.
Wishing you all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ornela Ademovi