Suggest treatment for cold sores

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: how can I speed the healing of cold sore after the blisters have subsided, i.e. now the skin is dry and cracking, bleeding, etc?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry. It is almost over. Should be ok soon.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Cold sores are generally caused by herpes virus. Unless antivirals like acyclovir are given very early, they do not have much role to play but nevertheless can reduce the duration of the ailment. After blister formation comes the crusting which is the last stage. So, if you have already reached the cracking and bleeding stage, it is almost over and everything should be fine in a couple of days. Please bear patience. Since it is already practically over, no intervention will hasten the process. Application of calamine lotion topically will provide relief and would reduce the agony of cracking and bleeding.