Suggest treatment for cold sores on the lips

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hey there. I have a bump that keeps appearing on my lip. I have had cold sores in the past and also smoke a pipe every once in awhile. It doesn't hurt and can't really be "popped". It appears sometimes and then goes away for a few days. It almost feels like it's inflamed sometimes and then goes down after it's done being agitated. It would do it mainly after I smoked a pipe but I've noticed recently it appears sometimes even when I haven't smoked. for what it's worth it appears in the exact spot where I would get my cold sores too. I can include a link to a video of it so you can take a look. I've peeled it off a few times too. It's like it's an extra two layers of skin or something.
I have a link to a photo of it here:
I have a link to it with a video here: https://cl.ly/irPj
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cannot load the video, pls send photo, could be canker sore

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concern.

Unfortunately, I could not load the video, can you please attach a photo?

Fromwhat you are describing, it could be canker sores. They differ from cold sores because they are not caused by virus infection but by chemical or mechanical trauma.

Looking forward to have the requested picture in.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 10 hours later
It's not a canker sore. It doesn't hurt at all. It just sort of seems to be something like an additional layer of skin. trying to upload a photo but the upload isn't working. I'll try again
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 44 hours later
Brief Answer:
Salivary cyst on lip explained below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

I am so sorry for the late reply due to my XXXXXXX clinical overload during this flu epidemic.

Now, I have gone through the photo you provided again, and as you are saying that the sore is not painful, then, most probably is a salivary cyst (its location on inner part of lip).

It can be formed due to any local trauma (after smoking pipe), so the salivary duct is damaged and blocked so, this leads to forming the cyst (with extra skin layers when you peel off).
That's not serious, just keep good oral hygiene and avoid smoking pipe when the cyst appears.
It usually does not require any special treatment explaining why it goes away on its own after a few days of its appearance.

All the best.
Dr.Albana