Suggest treatment for cold, sore throat and cough indicate?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a cold, with sore throat, cough, and some nasal issues. My eyes are red and watery, one side being much worse. Do I need to go on antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
fever, severe or persistent cough, malaise, fatigue-antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Most cases of cough and cold are viral not bacterial and do not require antibiotics.

It can sometimes be difficult to determine if antibiotics are needed but in general : (1) if there is a high or prolonged fever. Fever can occur in viral illness but in a bacterial infection it would last longer.

(2)sore throat is severe and not improving. Viral infection is the most common reason for sore throat but if it is very severe and there has been no change by day 3 to 5 or there has been worsening , then there may be a bacterial infection needing antibiotics

(3)feeling very weak and lethargic

(4)persistent or severe cough, very wet cough

One side may be worse than the other because of sinus congestion.
If any of these are the case, then yes, you definitely should be on antibiotics. You should see your doctor so that a course can be prescribed for you.

If the symptoms are not as above, then antibiotics may not be needed.

It can take 1 to 2 weeks for viral symptoms to resolve.
Treatment may involve: (1) rest , fluids- the fluids help break up the thickness of any secretions so that they can be expelled

(2)dayquil cold and flu, dayquil severe cold and flu and dayquil sinex all contain a decongestant which would be helpful for sinus congestion and may help reduce the cough (reduces mucus drip which can stimulate cough)

(3)a cough suppressant is in the nyquil and dayquil cold flu, severe cold flu.

(4)a warm compress not hot to the congested side of the face would help with drainage

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions