Suggest treatment for cold, post nasal drip and cough

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am at the very "tail end " of a cold (just a blowing my nose twice a day and a slight cough from post nasal drip) can I get the flu shot now or should I wait?
I want to visit someone who is receiving "chemo". Are these symptoms indicative of my still being infected with the cold? Should I wait to visit her?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if you don't have fever you can do the vaccine

Detailed Answer:

you can do the vaccine, if you don't have fever. There is no reason to wait.

Regarding your other question, you'd better avoid visiting an immunocompromised individual until the symptoms wear off. A progressively improving cough may last for up to 2 months after a 'cold'. This should not be a reason to avoid contact with other individuals but blowing your nose increases the risk for transmission, so you'd better wait until your nose feels normal again.

Kind Regards!