question-icon

Suggest treatment for cold, nasal congestion and pressure in the ears

Posted on Wed, 16 Aug 2017
Question: I'm recovering from a bad cold, I still have a lot of congestion. I'm asthmatic but my asthma is fine at present. Unfortunately I have a lot of travel coming up, that too to a cold place, should I take a decongestant- mucolite. I've also perforated my ear drums from infection twice in the past. I don't want to injure them during the flight.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Acute rhinitis with Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
Nasal congestion and throat infection can cause eustachian tube blockage leading to pressure in the ears and even perforation of the drums.
Get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done.
Please send me the pictures of your throat and tell me so what medicines have u been taking so far so that I can suggest you better and prescribe you accordingly.
Take tablet levocetrizine plus phenylepherine twice daily and xylometazoline nasal drops three times a day for a week.
Start taking steam inhalation and chew a gum that will also help decongest the tube.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available at prescription only.
Follow up with the required information.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist