Suggest treatment for cold, cough and severe runny nose

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: my son 1 yr old and daughter 5 yr old suffering from cold and cough having running nose with heavy mucuos..
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Try antihistamines and ambroxol

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Based on your history it looks like both your kids have probably a viral upper respiratory infection.
Usually viral cold and cough lasts a few days and obly symptomatic treatment is recommend ed.
I usually presxribe antihistamines like cetrizine syrup 2.5 ml (1 year old ) and 5 ml ( 5 year old )twice daily for kids at that ages respectively.
Also for cough i usually prescribe ambroxol syrup at the same doses twice daily.
If your kids develop fever or if symptoms increase by tomorrow, you need to consult your pediatrician to get them examined.
This is to rule out ear throat or chest infection which needs proper clinical examination and antibiotics as per your pediatrician advice if required.
Let them drink plenty of liquids to keep them hydrated meanwhile.
Wishing good health
Dr Arun

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng