Suggest treatment for cold, cough and fever in a child

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Dear Sir,

My Kid is 1.5yrs old & had cold, cough & bit temperature last week. We have given him XXXXXXX junior, ibujesic plus for 3days, afterwards he felt ok, but now after 4 days he is having only somebit cold n major cough. So we are giving XXXXXXX junior(2.5ml) , two time a day only. Should we continue the same for how many days or change the medicine? Kindly suugest
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Continue with same,adding combination of ambroxol with salbutamol will help

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Most common cause of cough/cold with fever in this age is some viral infection.In most of the cases the symptoms improve with conservative treatment like medication for fever and cough(without use of antibiotic).
In viral infection fever gets subsided within 3-4 days while cough may persist longer as in your baby. XXXXXXX junior contains chlopheniramine an antiallergic 2 mg/5ml and dextromethorphan a cough suppressant 5 mg/5ml. The dose is adjusted as per chlopheniramine 1 mg(2.5 ml) three to four times a day.So you may give the syrup 3-4 times a day depending on the severity.
Addition of sputum thinning agent like ambroxol with salbutamol(prevents airway's spasm) a combination like in ambrodil s or ambrolite s helps in rapid recovery. Please get it prescribed by a pediatrician as it is a prescription medicine.
Continuing this medicines for 4-7 more days will provide the relief.

I hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more doubts.
Wishing for your child's rapid recovery.