Suggest treatment for cold, congestion, cough, vomiting and wheezing

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my 1.5 month baby girl has been suffering from cold, congestion, cough especially at night though not a lot, some wheezing in the chest. She was prescribed ascoril LS ten drops twice a day and maxtra 6 drops twice a day for five days (the course will complete today). Though her condition has improved in the daytime, at night she becomes very fussy during feeding and even throws up a lot post feeding. She fights away from both breast and bottle feed and cries incessantly. Which leaves me worried that she might get dehydrated and under fed. I have to clear her nose with saline drops at night more frequently. Please suggest a better medication and if possible a herbal/ayurvedic medicine for the same. Also could the vomiting be because of congestion or a side effect of these medicines?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be a case of a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details provided. Let me assure you that such symptoms in children of this age is usually caused due to certain viral infections which can last for 5-10 days irrespective of use of any medicine, be it Western or Ayurvedic. The runny nose and the night time cough is due to an allergic component associated with such infections. The ongoing medicines are proper and should help. Please be patient. You need to give steam inhalation along.
Just sit with the child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. Water in the form of vapor will reach deep inside and dilute the mucus and would provide relief. Continue saline nasal drops. Monitor the urine frequency. If that is fine, she is not dehydrated and you need not worry.

You should take the child to a doctor and get him examined especially if fever occurs and lasts for more than 7 days or if the child becomes lethargic. But if you feel apprehensive, it might be a good idea to get him checked by a pediatrician to be safe.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Yes doc she's sleeping a lot! Not as active as she was before I started the meds. Also on 16th she got her 6 weeks immunization. She got fever for a day then but right now no fever. At night she becomes very irritable and her sleep breaks a lot. Also there is rash on her face neck and arms, white cluster of boils on forehead and sideburns...a possible side effect of meds? Pls advice what could this be?
Can u suggest a good doc in XXXXXXX for the same? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest you to take the child to a doctor

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Sorry for not being able to respond back earlier.

Since she does not have fever now, I might have less to worry about. But, the rashes and boils need to be clinically examined. It is unlikely to be a side effect of the medicines. Though there is more likelihood of these being due to allergic reactions, I would suggest you to visit a pediatrician and to get the child evaluated so that other serious conditions like low platelet count can be ruled out.

The following link should help you to find a pediatrician in your area:
https://www.practo.com/lucknow/pediatrician

Hope that helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Thank you doc. Went to see a peadetrician who said the rash was an allergic reaction to the oil massages etc and asked us to discontinue massaging. He also said that the babys urge to not drink milk was normal as infants go on nursing strike. Her excessive sleeping he said was due to ascoril ls. Asked me to discontinue the medicines as he fpund the congestion to have lessened.
So can i still give steam to the baby? Can i also give her homeopathy treatment for congestion?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation can be given.You may cont Ascoril LS for a few more days

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Pardon me for not being able to respond earlier.

Your pediatrician speaks in accordance to what I had thought earlier. However, I do not think that you need to discontinue Ascoril LS just because of the increased amount of sleep. It is a known side effect of antiallergic medication but does not pose any threats. I think that it can be given for another few days.

Steam inhalation can still be given to the baby and should be beneficial. It would also help in reducing the congestion. Viral infections resolve on its own in a week. So, I do not think that you need to resort to homeopathy or any other medicines for the same.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician