question-icon

Suggest treatment for cold, chesty cough, thick green phlegm and runny nose

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015
Question: hI i got a cold around the 6th of April that made me lose my voice a little, have a runny nose that was thick and green and have a deep chesty cough. the cough and the runny nose have eased up however my voice hasnt come back properly and i feel like something is stuck in my throat between my nose and mouth on the right side
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda (16 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
This could be due to inflammation of vocal cords during an attack of cold

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear
I had gone through your question very diligently and I will try to help you out in best possible way

Vocal cords( who produces voice ) may involved during an attack of cold which could be due to allergy or infection either viral or bacterial

Looking at your history this could be due to viral infection of vocal cords which takes time to heal properly

I would advise you to consult a ENT surgeon on your own time for clinical examination
you may require anti allergic drugs or steroids to reduce inflammation of vocal cords

Meanwhile please follow these guidelines
Steam inhalation
Gargling with antiseptic mouthwash or warm saline water
Avoid exposure to cold air of an air conditioner
Don't take ice creams or cold drinks
Deep breathing exercises will definitely help you

Hope you will find my response informative and helpful, please feel free to ask for more clarification, I will be happy to help you
Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. BR Hudda