Suggest treatment for cold and sore throat

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have got a common cold with a soar throat and blocked nose since last 36 hrs. Any quick remedy would be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antihistamine will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, I would suggest that you should get a throat swab culture done.

I would advise that you can take an antihistamine like Fexofenadine 120 mg along with phenylephrine for relief. Nasal drops containing xylometazoline are also helpful in relieving nasal congestion.You should take any medicine after getting yourself clinically examined by your doctor.
Steam inhalation is also beneficial.
Further medical management can be planned according to the reports of the throat swab culture.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Thanks.