Suggest treatment for cold and sore throat in a child

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: hi Dr,
my daughter is 3 yr 3 months old. over past 8-9 months she had sore throat and cold infection several times. Her paed said it was mostly due to pollution in XXXXXXX Due to this reason we left the city. Now she is much better and frequency of the infection has reduced drastically. Recently she had a viral fever ...was given medication and recovered. Her new paed said she has significant swelling in lymph nodes under ear. He says its due to the recurrent infection she has over last several months. her weight is 12.6 kg and height is 93 cms. How can we get rid of this swelling in lymph nodes. Is there anyway out? Please tell I am extremely worried for her health.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Swelling should decrease once this acute infection subsides

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for choosing this platform

I have gone through the details and do understand your concern.
As the frequency of the upper respiratory tract illness has been decreased after changing the city,this indicates that those were allergic episodes due to pollution.
Now this current illness is supposed to be viral in origin as this is associated with fever.
Enlargement of lymph nodes in neck are more suggestive of infection rather than allergy.
This enlargement occurs due to sore throat, tonsillitis and improves as the acute infection subsides.Please continue the treatment as advised by your doctor
I won't get overly worried for the enlarged lymph nodes and would like to observe for next 7-10 days whether it is decreasing in size or not .

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any more query.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 4 minutes later
Thanks Dr. your response evades my worries to a great extent. Can i give her a warm cloth treatment under her ears. Will that help in reducing swelling?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Warm compression will provide some relief

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up
It will get some time for reduction in swelling as it is mainly due to infection.
Warm compression will provide some relief in pain and swelling.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more doubts.
Wishing for your baby's speedy recovery.