Suggest treatment for cold and severe breathing difficulty

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have what I originally thought was just an average mid-winter cold, but I am wondering if it could be something more. I am having some breathing difficulties. I am winded quite easily and I cannot take a deep breath with out it leading to a coughing fit. I am unsure if I should go in to the walk in clinic or not. I realize they are busy, and I don't want to waste their time for an average cold.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there are some finding that may help to assess your condition

Detailed Answer:

although evaluating your condition is impossible without physical examination and detailed history, there are some findings that may help to identify serious disease.
(i) fever: without fever, serious diseases like pneumonia are much less likely.
(ii) shortness of breath
(iii) pleuritic pain: feeling pain when taking deep breaths.
(iv) no symptoms of common cold like runny nose for example
(v) no wheezing

If you're just having cough, runny and congested nose without fever or other symptoms then it's probably a common cold. Otherwise you'd better seek medical assessment.

Kind Regards!