Suggest treatment for cold and loose motions

Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 7 month old is having cold and loose motions. Please let me know if it is required to take him to a doctor?
I could not write the sysmptoms elaborately coz I hought it would be an online chat wiht the doctor :(. So here are more on his symptoms - Cold started around 10 days back. Had consulted a doc the next day itself. Got a drops medicine also nasal drops. Cold didnt reduce. But since last 5 days he is having frequent motions. 5-6 times a day, but little little most of the times. Yesterday I noticed that one of the motion was very runny and frothy. He usually is having green motions past one month. But during my earlier visit ped had told that it's ok. Frothy and smeely poo is bothering me. I give him solids twice a day. around 14oz of formula and breastmilk for the night feed, every day. Please let me know if any of this is the prob. His weight is 8.7kg. Birth weight was 3kg. Is he underweight coz of all this? should I give him more water? Looks like he's straining while peeing. But otherwise he isnt crying all the time. I am so worried
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,please visit your doctor for follow up.

Detailed Answer:

This is a season for viral infection. In such kind of season this is very common illness among infants.

Please look for following:

Whether the child is playful or not ?
Not passing adequate urine
crying excessively
Fever
Refusal to feed
looking dull
Passing continuous watery stools

If any of this is present,you need to take him to doctor for follow up.

In mean time,
Give him more of fluids.
Continue normal diet pattern that you are giving.

Weight does not seems to be a problem.

Wishing him great health.

Dr.Pragnesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 28 hours later
In XXXXXXX also he had this issue of frequent motions. At that time anti bitoic and econorm was given. How can we know why this issue is getting repeated. Any possible causes for this? I dont give him fruit juices. Is it not ok to give wheat, rice, ragi, banana etc.?

What other foods do you suggest that can be given at this stage? Is it time to change from pureed foods?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
The food that you are giving is fine.

Detailed Answer:

Good to hear from you again.

There two possibilities either he is getting viral diarrhea or getting some infection via oral route.

The commonest source at his age is the objects that he puts in mouth,if bottle fed then bottle.

What you are giving him at present is fine,please continue.

As he is more than six months once this episode of illness got over,you can gradually starts home based foods one by one.

Start with one item,then gradually build the dose and increase the frequency.

Any home made should be fine.

You can add vegetable soups,fruit juices etc.

Avoid ready made foods .

Dr.Pragnesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 3 days later
I tried giving anti bitoic for 4 days now along wiht econorm..but not much chnage in the motions..its not that frequent but its still loose..is it ok? how cna i know if it is because of teething?
i dont see teeth coming out yet but he is drooling a lot and taking all stuff inside his mouth..do you suggest i should get another anit biotic for loose motion? what about cold? shall i levae it as it is? coz even after taking meds cold dint reduce..but sad part is that cough has increased..poor thing reddens and coughes so hard..do you suggest any cough meds? is it ok for 7 month olds to take cough meds? even after taking syrup mucolite as of now theres no change in cough..am really worried
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please discuss with your doctor about investigatio

Detailed Answer:

Please visit your doctor again and get him examined.

I think you should go for stool test and try to look for presence of any infection or related things.

At times intolerance to some food may result in persistent diarrhea specially milk. Avoid milk in diet if possible.

Give him more of liquids,avoid humid atmosphere.

Discuss with your doctor about the options available.
You can give cough medication with doctor prescription.

I think he needs proper evaluation and planning for further treatment.

Just changing antibiotic may not help.

Wishing him good health.

DR.Pragnesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju