Suggest treatment for cold and cough

Excellent

Question
I have little fever and cold (with cough) possibly due to change of weather from past 2 days. Do I need to have any medication? If yes, what medication should I take?
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upper respiratory tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX,

Your symptoms could be mostly due to Upper respiratory tract infection. I would suggest you antihistamines like cetrizine 10mg one tab before bed for cold for 3 days. Antipyretics like Paracetamol whenever you get fever.

Nasal decongestants like Nasoclear normal saline drops. Instill 2 drops in each nostril 4-5 times a day. You will get relief from cold.

Steam inhalation 3 times a day for 15 minutes. It effectively decreases cold and cough.
Cough suppressants like cherry cold 2 time a day. These are over the counter medication.
If you will not improve after 3 days of medication then you need to visit a doctor to start on antibiotics.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
If you do not have any queries you close the discussion and rate the answer if possible.
Thank you.