Suggest treatment for cold and cough in an infant

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 8 months old son is having cold and cough for last 3 days. just wanted to check if there is any medicine we can use to make him comfortable and clean the cough. His nose is getting blocked during night.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antiallergics can be given

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms including croup are due to viral infections. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Such infections are usually associated with an allergic component and giving Atarax Drops (hydroxizine, prescription medicine) should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be given instead. Give Nasoclear saline nasal drops when needed to relieve the nasal block.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. If the respiratory rate is greater than or equal to 50 breaths/min you would need to take her to a doctor for the possibility of underlying pneumonia. If the rate is lesser, you need not worry.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

Give paracetamol or acetaminophen to bring down the temperature as well as for headache. Also give tepid sponging. Personal hygiene is important.

Please be patient. It may take a few more days before recovery occurs.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana