Suggest treatment for cold and cough in an infant

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 5 month old daughter is having cold for the past one and half month. Soo far I have changed 3 paediatrician. Still her cold and cough remains the same. She was given antibiotics and nebulisation too.but nthg has worked soo far..last week went to Dr XXXXXXX dayanand and he asked me to take blood test for body. Platelet count. Evrythg seems to b normal
He prescribed mucolite for cold and bricanyl syrup fr cough. He asked me to stop all other medicines including some antibiotics prescribed by other paediatrician. Still her cough and cold is remaining the same. She is Feb born baby. I have started giving her cerelac he asked me to stop cerelac and start giving her oats kichdi ragi etc. Am still feeding her my milk and she is struggling soo much to suck it bcz her nose is blocked every half and hour and putting nasivion paediatric drops into her nose..
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
As you said the reports are normal and you have not mentioned the fever there is nothing to worry.
It can be allergic.
Unfortunately, many children get 6-8 upper respiratory tract infections a year, many of which can last 1-2 weeks, so it can seem like your child is always sick, as he gets over one infection and another quickly starts.
I would recommend my patient susp. Monticope 5ml at night for 3 months in such cases along with nebulisation.
Maintain a symptom diary and rule out asthma.
Saline nasal drops should be continued.
Hope i helped you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 56 minutes later
Thank you for the answer doc,

From a month due to cold baby has got flum formed in her chest and she is not able to take it out,due to which breathing has become hard,

Baby is having disturbed sleep in the nights due to cough and disturbed breathing

For nebulisation which medicine to be taken along

Could you recommend the food for baby other than ceralec,is oats and other fruits food advisable

And Is packet milk good for baby at 6 months as i am planning to work

Being in XXXXXXX we are not using fan or AC even so she sweats in the night being cold climate outside

Kindly advise on symptoms for Asthma for 6 months baby
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
here is the answer

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.
You can give plain normal saline nebulisation if there is no excessive coughing at night or no wheezing (whistling sound) every 2 to 3 hrly.
If there is wheezing or more coughing at night then asthalin respiratory solution along with normal saline can be used for nebulisation.
It will clear the phlegm or mucus and baby will have better sleep.

You can start with dal water, rice water, soups, along with milk.
Gradually add semisolid like upma, ragi, oats, shira, soji, kanji after 15 to 20 days.
Better to give homemade food than cerelac.

If you working women you can give either lactogen or packet milk.

It is very difficult to diagnose asthma in child below 2 years of age, it needs regular examination by doctor.
Some of the points to keep in mind are -
if your baby coughs frequently and has allergies or eczema, and your family has a history of asthma and allergies or eczema (especially if you and your partner both have them), there's a good chance that your baby has asthma. His symptoms are likely to be worse at night.

Hope everything will be fine.
Happy to helped you.