Suggest treatment for coiled lymphatics

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Wed, 6 May 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi, I am a massage therapist, 21 yrs., and certified lymphedema therapist, and i have a client that has had Lipedema, for 40 yrs, and today I used the Dr. Chikly lymphatic drainage therapy, and it was very successful for the movement of her lymph in her legs, she had to actually get off my table 3 times, to go to the bathroom so the drainage is working great i have worked on her now 3 times, 2hrs each time, once a week. She has said she is finally really feeling a difference, but, my question is, is There anyway to break the coiling in her legs the lymphatic vessels get coiled in certain areas and build up pockets?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Endovenous laser ablation helps.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam.

I understand your concern.

The coiled lymphatics cannot be eliminated through superficial massage therapy.

They can be eliminated through Endovenous laser therapy.

Under ultrasonographic guidance, anesthetic is injected around the vessel to be ablated until a halo of tumescence is observed along the entire length of the vessel, separating it from its fascial sheath.

Firm pressure is applied to collapse the vein around the laser fiber, and the laser is fired with settings sufficient to cause irreversible thermal endothelial damage.

This will cause complete elimination of varicosities.

Post your further queries if any,
Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 19 hours later
I have another new client that is in her early 40's. In January, 2015, she had 4 lymph nodes taken out with cancer, and another 14 taken out but not with cancer, and had 2 lumpectomy's, and because of so much tissue taken out they replaced her tissue with Putty. until she can have reconstruction. client did not want chemo or radiation. The doctor who did her surgery , she said he put a blue XXXXXXX into her good nodes and vessels, and that was suppose to tell him what not to take but i don't understand why he still would take out 14. The name for her type of surgery, is called Axillary Reverse Mapping, i read that there has only been 5% ever done like this.
my ? is do you still think i could still drain in this axillary area, if this technique has taken what is cancerous. or should i just bring it to the opposite side and down to inguinals nodes? i have never heard of Putty being used, it is so hard under her breast, and scars,
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Opposite breast to inguinal nodes.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again,

Generally massaging should not be advisable in cases with Reverse axillary mapping in patients not willing to get chemo/radiotherapy as there is chance of spread.

So I advise you to massage in unaffected breast to axilla and then to inguinal nodes.

Post your further queries if any,

Thank you.