Suggest treatment for cognitive deficits related to depression

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I have been told that I have cognitive deficits related to depression. Is there anything I can do?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes you can do many tings

Detailed Answer:

In general cognitive deficits related to depression improved with treatment of depression. When depression and its treatment are chronic cognition is more affected.

Apart from medicines you need to maintain healthy lifestyle. This includes regular daily exercise (walking or running), hygienic food habits ( no junk food, no fatty food, preferably only home-made food with law salt and fat with more fruits and vegetables) and timely scheduled sleep. Yoga- meditation can also help.This will help in improvement as well as prevent any worsening of cognition related problem.

You can do cognitive exercises like solving puzzles or playing chess. In short the activities in which you have to think actively and logically.

Note: You are on saphris and latuda and both are anti psychotic medicines and used in schizophrenia. In schizophrenia cognition is more impaired than in depression so regular medicines and the approach I mentioned should be life long.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 3 hours later
Thank-you. Can you suggest any other medication?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
as such no evidence based medicine for the same

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

There is no evidence based clinically proven cognitive enhancer medicine. As such the disorder which is responsible for cognitive impairment should be treated first.

Piracetam (neutropil) is one drug used for this purpose but effect is really questionable.

The best approach is healthy diet and if needed multivitamin and mineral supplements are taken.

If you have symptoms of your psychiatric problem which are not improving with current medicines you are taking let me know so I can comment on treatment aspect.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 11 hours later
Thank-you.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome.

If no further query, you can close the discussion and if feasible give your feedback and rating so I can improve my service. In future you can contact me directly on this site when you wish with this link:
http://bit.ly/drchintansolanki
by clicking on 'Ask me a question' on same page.

Wish you good health and take care.