• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cluster headaches

Posted on Tue, 11 Apr 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am getting a cluster headache behind my right temple. I am used to this, it happens from time to time. but my left armis going numb for 3 to 5 minutes at a time and the left side odf my face is getting all pins and needles. Is this just a part of cluster headaches that I have not run intoyet, or is thissomrthing I need to worry abiut?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not typical for cluster.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand our concern.

I must say that you have a point, cluster headache is not usually associated with aura, usually they happen in the setting of migraine. However they are possible in a minority of patients.
You do not say much about the characteristics of your pain (character, duration, frequency, whether it ever switches sides, seasonal patterns, accompanying symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, lacrimation, nasal congestion etc). You also do not mention the relationship in time of these numbness episodes to the headaches. Usually auras precede the headache which follows soon after they have stopped. So if the symptoms follow this pattern then they may be considered as aura otherwise they may need some looking into through brain imaging.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist