Suggest treatment for cloudy vision and watery eyes

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: i am just recovering from a herpes episode in my right eye, but my vision remains cloudy and my eye remains watery and blood shot. i am taking eye drops to reduce the pressure in my eye and also zaviorex ointment every 3 hours. i think i can see a white looking patch on the inside of my eyeball that does not appear to be across the pupil so am worried why my vision remains so cloudy
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello! I have been through your question.

Detailed Answer:
Related your concern I think is due to the herpes zoster in your right eye.

You should know that an ocular(ophthalmic) Herpes zoster occurs when the varicella-zoster virus is reactivated in the ophthalmic division of the trigeminal nerve and the virus damages the eye and surrounding structures as you have.
So, a minority of patients may also develop conjunctivitis, keratitis, uveitis, and ocular cranial-nerve palsies.
Usually, permanent sequelae of ocular zoster infection may include chronic ocular inflammation, loss of vision, and debilitating pain.
I suggest to meet an oculist for further evaluation of your right eyes and usually in my experience for ocular herpes we start as soon as possible the antiviral medication (with intravenous acyclovir),except the local medication, to avoid complications.
I hope my answer helps you.
I wish you a quick recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 41 hours later
the white spot on my eye i assume is the ulcer, what indication will there be to indicate that the ulcer is healing ?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again! I have been through your question.
A corneal ulcer itself looks like a gray or white area or spot(same as you have) on the usually transparent cornea. In your case this is caused by herpes.

Corneal ulcers are treatable, and most people recover quite well after treatment
Usually the signs of improvement include clinical appearance of the lesion, reduction of the ulcer 's size , and the clearance of the vision.
For further and more detailed information related your corneal ulcers improvements I suggest to meet your ophthalmology specialist every 3 days.

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish you a quick recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 19 hours later
my vision remains very cloudy, i understand that the preservative in the eye pressure drops can cause this, my eye pressure was measured today and was 12 down from 28, the doctor has asked me to stop using alphagan drops, apparently there is many tiny white particles in my eye that are causing the cloudy vision, do you agree that the preservative is causing this reaction or could it be something else? the ulcer has contracted slightly and has not grown, luckily it has not crossed then centre of my eye, so the cloudy vision is a worrying problem.
Brief Answer:
Hello again. Thank you writing back.

Detailed Answer:
First I think that is a good news that the ulcer are not located in the center, has contracted and as well has not grown.
Related you concern the cloudy vision may be from the presence of many white particles in your cornea but as well as a result of side effects of the preservative.

Although preservatives are of less concern with the short-term use of topical ophthalmic medications, long-term use may cause problems.

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish you a quick recovery.