question-icon

Suggest treatment for clogged ears and inflamation in sinus passage

Posted on Tue, 30 Sep 2014
Question: I have seasonal allergies and use Nasonex and Astelin. For the last 48 hours after going to bed after crying, I wake up in the morning and I tap on my forehead it feels hollow. My ears are clogged and sinus passages are inflamed. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You may have sinusitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, Myself Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar. I am practising doctor in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I want to ask you few questions.
1. Since how long you are taking these nasal sprays?
2. Are you taking it in proper manner?
My concern with technique is because in my practice I have seen so many patients who do not take properly and thus not benifitted by the drug.
Other thing is tolerance of drug. If you are taking nasal sprays for long time, there is chance of tolarance and thus the desired effect is not achieved. For this you have to change the drug.
At present you should start antibiotics (cephalosporins) with oral antihistamines as your symptoms are suggestive sinusitis. So consult your ENT surgeon and discuss these things.
Hope I have solved you queries. I will be happy to answer more queries if you have. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist