Suggest treatment for classic adenocarcinoma colo-rectal cancer

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 20 Mar 2015 in Cancer
Question: Hi, I was just seen for this problem. I had a polyp that was removed and found to be cancerous. I have 3 other polyps that are not cancerous. I have been diagnosed with the classic adenocarcinoma colo-rectal cancer. I also just went through an ultasound and they found that my cancer had not spread, that is a "local problem" and that it "just" reached the t-3 stage. I was attended by the chief of the Gasterenterology Department here at Kaiser. He referred me to the oncologist. I believe he said that the three polyps could be resectioned. He explained that I should probably do Chemo and then surgery. What do you think about this sequence in my fight against this malignancy?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chemotherapy followed by surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since the tumour has not spread in ultrasound your colorectal cancer has been detected early and is in early stage of the disease.

As your polyp that was found cancerous has been removed i would advise you to undergo atleast 6 months of chemotherapy to prevent recurrence of the cancer.

After chemotherapy is completed the remaining 3 polyps should be removed by surgery.

DR DE
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 25 hours later
I understand that chemo damages your immune system. While I have always been in very good health, this is still a concern. Is it possible for you to recommend the type of chemo and delivery system that is best for this malignancy?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oxaliplatin and capecitabine

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Though chemotherapy damages immune system initially the immune system comes backs to its normal strenght after 1 month of completion of chemotherapy.

I will advise you to take 6 months of chemotherapy with the drugs capecitabine and oxaliplatin which can be given at 21 days interval for 8 cycles.

Oxaliplatin is given intravenously mixed with 250 to 500 mL of 5% Dextrose Injection over 2 hrs.

Capecitabine is a tablet which can be taken orally.

Discuss this with your treating physician.

If you have no more clarifications then please rate the answer and close the thread.

DR DE
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 2 hours later
Dear Dr. Monish De,

Thank you. Your advice has been very helpful. A few more questions, please. If you would be so kind. What are the main complications that could occur with these medications other than the medications affecting the immune system in your experience? Do I need to modify my diet? Can I continue to do light exercise? Can I continue to do yoga? Are their any special chemical imbalances in my system I should monitor?

Best Regards to you and to your family,
thank you again,

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Monish De 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nausea and vomiting

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The major side effect of these medications apart from affecting the immune system are nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, tingling in hands and feet and handfoot syndrome which is redness, tenderness, and peeling of skin in the palms and soles.

The taste of your food may change during this therapy but you can continue with normal food and drinks.

Avoid cold drinks during oxaliplatin therapy.

These medications causes low platelets and red blood cells and you need to do a complete blood count test after each cycle.

Yes you can do light exercise and yoga.

Dr DE
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta