Suggest treatment for cirrhosis of the liver

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am fine. Thank you for asking. I am very concerned about my son, however. He has been diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. Is there a way to tell if it is from alcohol consumption or is non-alcoholic cirrhosis. He is not an alcoholic, but did drink in moderation before the diagnosis. Does the presence or absence of Acites or Varices make a difference?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking
I am sorry for the situation that your son is!

You are reporting that he is suffering from liver cirrhosis. Alcohol is one of the major causes of cirrhosis. All the causes of cirrhosis cause liver damage, esophageal varices and ascites.

Liver panel and especially GGT can help to determine if the cirrhosis is from alcohol use. GGT level is high is patients with alcoholic liver cirrhosis.

Otherwise his doctor will determine other causes of liver cirrhosis like :
-chronic hepatitis B or C
-iron overload or autoimmune disease
After that he will decide about the cause of your son liver cirrhosis.

With regards to ascites and varices they show the severity of the disease and not the cause.

If you have other concerns I would be glad to assist you further.
Dr.Klerida