Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for chronic venous insufficiency

Answered by
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1970

Answered : 6273 Questions

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have poor circulation in my legs causing the skin to be extremely thin and scaly. Sometimes it itches and breaks out. If I scratch the skin breaks and oozes. Sometimes it takes a year or longer for an area to heal. I have seen doctors for the initial skin condition and not the itchy rashes. Have I caught a disease? Is it possibly a fungus? Do you have a recommendation for remedy of this problem? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Advised expert advise &specific treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxxx,
Thanks for the query &understand your concern.
*Long time thinned & dried skin along with itching to cause oozing & difficulty in healing....could arise due to -
_ ageing process with drying of skin followed by itching ,infection &the symptoms .
- Long term use of steroid ointments can lead to skin thinning&drying too
- Diabetes causes drying of skin followed by itching &oozing when infected,with prolonged healing process
- allergy turning into exema
-fungal infection with secondary infection
-chronic venous insufficiency leading to stagnation of venous blood in lower limbs causing seen or unseen vericisities & the symptoms.
*In your case as you state less blood circulation in lower limbs.... it seems to be venous insufficiency causing the problem Still all other skin conditions need to be excluded.
*In this context you should consult your family physician to start with.
. He would examine you,get you investigated (blood counts,histopathilogy tests like swab test to find type of infection/allergy screen test/glucose tollerance test -as per need) to diagnose the type of skin involvement.
He would then refer you to either a skin specialist or cardiovascular surgeon as he feels.
- You would need a usg /color doppler test to find presence of venous insufficiency /vericosities. ...&get a specialized treatment from a cardiovasular surgen to treat the basic cause along with skin specialist to treat the cause of skin symptoms specifically.
*Till then you should avoid itching/try to soothen the skin with help of moisturiser /keep the legs raised if they are swollen.
This way with proper investgations &expert advise .. you would get rid of the problem.
I hope that answers your query.Any follow up query is welcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Ointments

doctor1 MD

hello I have been diagnosed with virility in my scalp. One Dr prescribed macros ointment and melancholy tablet. Another Dr prescribed steroid afternoon lotion and Belgian lotion. Please advise what medicine to take. I am worried about side effects and more concerned about safe treatment. Thank you

doctor1 MD

hi i am 34 weeks pregnant and my nostrils are blocked i cant breath through my nose at all i tried vicks, steam and nasal drops but no change i am worried if my baby is getting enough oxygen or not i cant sleep very restless please advice me something to feel better. thanks

doctor1 MD

Sir actually I hav got my hand n legs cut with blade 6 months back,,! I still have those marks on legs and hand after using so many ointments and creams. so I want to know what cream or ointment should I use now or try for any laser my knowledge laser treatment is a bit xpensive,I can afford it bt I don t want my parnts to waste money on it, please help me out vit it because it is so embarassing

doctor1 MD

my 6 year old has a hard red bump on her bottom. We have put drawing salve and neosporin on it. It developes a head and pus comes out. It seems to beginning to clear up but she has had it for several weeks. Could it be a boil or something more serious like cancer?

doctor1 MD

I am 14 weeks pregnant with twins. For the past 3 days am having severe shooting pain in my arms and shoulders. It started with left hand now moved to right hand. Even my right knee, ankle and thighs have started to pain. I have applied pain...

doctor1 MD

My wife has had sores on her arms and legs for about 1 year. They're not painful unless she picks at them. When she does pick at them, there's a small, hard, round ball that comes off. Attached is a photo. Any ideas what this could be?

doctor1 MD

any idea what these white marks are