Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

127 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for chronic urinary tract infection

Answered by
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 2689 Questions

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: was treated for uti twice, systems did not clear, test came back negative but still have lower back pain, trouble urinating and on and off again constipation. heating bad and motrin help, but assume something else should be checked?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
My opinion is described in detail below

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking your question at HealthcareMagic.
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concern.

Your symptoms are suggestive of chronic urinary tract infection(UTI). Chronic UTI require further evaluation to determine whether the infection is limited to the bladder or has spread to kidney.

Since you are complaining of lower back pain, I'd definitely recommend getting checked for infection in your kidneys. This will require treatment with even higher generation of antibiotics.

Some women in menopause experience recurrent and chronic urinary infections, and Hormone replacement therapy has shown to improve the symptoms (Please let me know the details in this regard).

There are certain things you can try to help with the symptoms-

- drink plenty of fluids
- Drinking cranberry juice can help preventing recurrence
- wipe from front to back after using the toilet
- wear light cotton underwear
- Constipation increase risk of urinary infections. Avoid constipation by eating high fiber diet including fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of fluids, avoid or limit coffee intake
- Avoid using diaphragms and vaginal douches as they increase risk of urinary infections.
- Keep genital area clean. Wash with water thoroughly after intercourse.

I'd recommend that you follow up with your doctor to look for any infection of kidney. Further investigations including urine analysis, culture and imaging studies are warranted at this point. Your doctor may also recommend long term antibiotic use . Meanwhile I recommend Tylenol for pain (if not allergic) instead of motrin. Motrin can cause further damage to kidneys.

Hope I was able to answer your question
Please feel free to address any more concerns


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Urinary tract

doctor1 MD

I'm having slight bleeding when I urinate and also light vaginal bleeding . I am also having slight abdominal pain . I had cervical cancer and had to have a complete hysterectomy 36 years ago in which they removed my uterus, 1 ovary and cervix. ....

doctor1 MD

Why do I have pain in the bladder area and irritation in the vagina after sex it lasts for days. Iam 80 years old

doctor1 MD

Hi i have vag discomfort i know i have yeast n urinary tract but i also have lesions that itch n burn from mybbotton to my vag