Suggest treatment for chronic urinary tract infection

Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 3 Sep 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello Doctor, I have been living with this staphylococcus for over a year now and I have taken lots of Antibiotics but it wouldn't go....I usually have this discomfort and little pain with also a deep itch when I press my lower abdomen.....I have been having a white and light discharge in the morning before and after urinating and suddenly , 2 weeks ago i started noticing a thick whitish discharge....I also do have this sharp itch in my urinary tract, like something is moving inside of it.....I also do have ithchy blisters that turns sour and leaves marks on my penis shaft and base but I started applying Bactroban Mupirocin and it works but the urinary tract itch and my lower abdomen itch bothers me and the discharge....Please I am tired and frustrated and I need your great help so I can be free from this....PLEASE DOCTOR!!!!
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic UTI requires long term antibiotics

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to health care magic.

I understand your distress and worry about your condition.

Based on the symptoms you have mentioned in your query, you are suffering from chronic urinary tract infection.

Possible causes include:
Bacteria from the rectum reaching the urinary tract and causing infection
Bacteria entering the urethra during sexual intercourse
Problems emptying the bladder completely due to blockage, muscle or nerve disorder
Kidney or bladder stones

Staphylococcus is one of the bacteria which develops resistance easily and hence maybe you are not responding to the antibiotics prescribed to you.

I would suggest a repeat urine culture and sensitivity to determine the antibiotics to which the staphylococcus causing infection is sensitive.

Antibiotics like linezolid and vancomycin can be tested for sensitivity.

Few more tips:
1. Keep your genital area clean
2. Wipe from front to back after a bowel movement
3. Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water, to flush bacteria out of your urinary system
4. Urinate immediately after intercourse to help eliminate any bacteria
5. Long-term, low-dose preventative antibiotics may be recommended after the symptoms of the infection have subsided.

I hope I have helped.

Please get back if any more clarifications.

Thanks.