Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
121 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for chronic urinary tract infection

Answered by
Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 877 Questions

Posted on Wed, 3 Sep 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello Doctor, I have been living with this staphylococcus for over a year now and I have taken lots of Antibiotics but it wouldn't go....I usually have this discomfort and little pain with also a deep itch when I press my lower abdomen.....I have been having a white and light discharge in the morning before and after urinating and suddenly , 2 weeks ago i started noticing a thick whitish discharge....I also do have this sharp itch in my urinary tract, like something is moving inside of it.....I also do have ithchy blisters that turns sour and leaves marks on my penis shaft and base but I started applying Bactroban Mupirocin and it works but the urinary tract itch and my lower abdomen itch bothers me and the discharge....Please I am tired and frustrated and I need your great help so I can be free from this....PLEASE DOCTOR!!!!
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic UTI requires long term antibiotics

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to health care magic.

I understand your distress and worry about your condition.

Based on the symptoms you have mentioned in your query, you are suffering from chronic urinary tract infection.

Possible causes include:
Bacteria from the rectum reaching the urinary tract and causing infection
Bacteria entering the urethra during sexual intercourse
Problems emptying the bladder completely due to blockage, muscle or nerve disorder
Kidney or bladder stones

Staphylococcus is one of the bacteria which develops resistance easily and hence maybe you are not responding to the antibiotics prescribed to you.

I would suggest a repeat urine culture and sensitivity to determine the antibiotics to which the staphylococcus causing infection is sensitive.

Antibiotics like linezolid and vancomycin can be tested for sensitivity.

Few more tips:
1. Keep your genital area clean
2. Wipe from front to back after a bowel movement
3. Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water, to flush bacteria out of your urinary system
4. Urinate immediately after intercourse to help eliminate any bacteria
5. Long-term, low-dose preventative antibiotics may be recommended after the symptoms of the infection have subsided.

I hope I have helped.

Please get back if any more clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Bactroban

doctor1 MD

I m a recovering meth addict (clean date August 1, 2005.) I mention that information because me getting clean was immediately followed by the...

doctor1 MD

Hi i think i had a bite on my neck but i think i made it worse, i just wanted to see if it is something i should look into or its just me that...

doctor1 MD

I want to take care of the order between my legs at the scrotum . I've been using TARO Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream USP 1%I...

doctor1 MD

Bee st g with local pain swelling redness whole forearm followed by rash followed by hives one wk later then fever of 101 for 2 dys

doctor1 MD

I have just been told I have MRSA as does my 2 year old son (from nose swabs). Son had boils on his face, clearing slowly. I seem to have had one...

doctor1 MD

I appear to have an infection at the top right corner of my middle left toenail, after
accidentally peeling off the edge of the nail (I tend to...