Suggest treatment for chronic tonsillitis

Posted on Tue, 7 Apr 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have swollen lingual tonsils bilateral in a v shaped pattern at the back of my tongue that are unresponsive to prednisone x 3 days. Is there anything I can do? My sleep apnea is horrendous right now.
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute on chronic tonsillitis, requires antibiotics

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having enlarged tonsils. I would like to ask you few more details.

How frequently, you get episodes of tonsillitis ?

Kindly get back to me with the details.

Based on your clinical details, it appears to be acute on chronic tonsillitis.

I suggest you to to re consult your treating doctor, to have a course of antibiotics (prednisone works only on congestion, but not on infection). Once infection subsides, go ahead for tonsillectomy to solve the problem of chronic tonsillitis and obstructive sleep apnea.

Mean time, continue gargling and Brufen.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 11 hours later
Actually it appears to be englarged circumvallate papillae. Now that i took a photo. They are really painful. Anything i can do?
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need naked eye examination, to rule out infection.

Detailed Answer:

Hello again,

Thanks for considering my answer and for your follow up.

Normal components (circumvalate papillae) of tongue, concerns with taste.

Pain could be due to infection (associated with pharyngitis or tonsillitis), can be evaluated by naked eye (color and congestion). Kindly get evaluated and take antibiotics.

Mean time continue salt water gargling.

Hope, I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist