• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chronic tonsillitis and granular pharyngitis.

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello Dr, I have tried antibiotics and my tonsils sort of are a bit smaller but it's been a few months and they are still irregular and enlarged with many bumps and lumps . There is a purple scarring or something behind the tonsils and also I have an ulcer (still) at the back of a throat - there is no pain whatsoever. Shall I be very concerned?

Dear Dr, it's been several months and my tonsils and throat still look strange. The tonsils decreased in size but there are sores at the back of the throat , also the shape of tonsils still look strange . Can you please review the current photo?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sustained treatment is required.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The images show Chronic Tonsillitis and Granular Pharyngitis.

2. This appearance is common since lymphoid (tonsil-like) tissue does not regress completely after infection and inflammation.

3. Sustained treatment with a few weeks of a broad spectrum antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic medication and medicated gargles (oral rinses) should settle this chronic process.

4. A throat swab will helpful out any residual or resistant infection. If there is any allergy, post nasal drip, acid reflux, it should be treated.

l hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later
Thank you doctor, I will follow your advice. I was worried that my throat was cancerous . So you reckon slowly the chronic condition will go down?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Yes. This is not cancer.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes. This is a chronic condition and will settle down.

2. This is not cancer.

Wishing you an early recovery and good health.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 minutes later
Thank you doctor. Its been like that for many months, i dont have any pain and so i was very worried that i had symptoms of lymphoma and carcinoma. Do you think i should get my tonsils removed or its not necessary?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tonsillectomy is a last resort.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Tonsillectomy may be required if there are recurrent episodes of Tonsillitis.

2. Tonsillectomy should be considered only after failure of medical therapy.

3. Hence first take medication after doing the recommended tests.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Thank you doctor.Yes i did take antibiotics back in february and then started gargling my throat with saline. I did notice improvement, however the improvement has been very slow. The swab test did not show any bacterial infection. I didnt even have a pain but only discomfort. Do you think my inflammation can further go down within the next few months if i maintain a good healthy diet and continue gargling?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes. It will improve.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes it will improve further with time.

2. Continue your current management.

3. Get this examined by a local ENT Specialist if you get recurrent episodes of Tonsillitis.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist