Suggest treatment for chronic tinnitus

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I have found out that I have tinnitus an it's chronic, I've had it for about 8 years now but recently it's worsened, I can mask it with background noise such as fans an ac's but I don't constantly have noise around me an hearing it is the worst, it's severely increased my anxiety that was already terrible an my depression, I've tried getting accustomed an ignoring it but it's hard for me to do, I have been researching cochlear implants an while I know nothing is guaranteed, I've seen positive stories of people getting a CI an having their tinnitus majority reduced or completely removed, I wanted to know if it's something that I should look into, before I completely lose my mind
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are other treatment options.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Upload a recent pure tone audiogram (PTA).

2. Cochlear implants are designed to help hear when the natural mechanism fails. Reduction in tinnitus will be better if there is a hearing loss.

3. There are other options such as transtympanic steroids, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, caroverine injections and capsules, tinnitus maskers amongst others that have up to a fifty percent success rate.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.