• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chronic sore throat and dry skin

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Woman age 60 with history of back problems (2 surgeries in 2001) I do smoke. Several years ago I developed a mild chronic sore throat nothing too bad.
About 10 year ago I was taking levothyroxin 50 mcg. and my MD said I didn't need it (tsh around 4.5). so no medication for at least ten years during that time I slowly gained about 50 lb, lost body hair and started suffering sore joints and muscles, fatigue dry skin and other minor problems, I thought it was just age related. Fast forward to now ......seven months ago I attended a nutritional seminar were my blood tested 7.75 tsh. My Doctor didn't want to treat hypothyroid so I changed Doctors.
I have hypothyroid (Hashimotot is what the ultrasound looked like with normal sized thyroid and no nodules) it has take over 7 months of testing and my tsh levels keep going too low or too high any where from 0.2 to 8.9. right now I am taking levothyroxin 100mcg. I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in Aug.
Because of my past back problems I take hydoco/APAP 5-315mg about 40 pills a month (for the past 15 years), at my the new clinic I go to, any pain medication like I take has to be prescribed by a pain management specialist (Physician assistant). This person is really frustrating as from my first visit she insists I have fibromyalgia. I think she has lost her marbles.
Can my thyroid problem account for most symptoms?
Do I need to change doctors again?
Any suggestion would be helpful.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About hypothyroidism treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your situation and your concern.
Many of the symptoms you reported are suggestive for hypothyroidism or under active thyroid.
Of course, TSH level over 4 mUi/ ml should be treated if the symptoms of hypothyroidism are present.
Once you have started or changed the dose of levothyroxine, you should check TSH 6 weaks after and adjust the dose until it is within the normal ranges.
I think 75 mcg will be the appropriate dose, but your physician should approve it (having into consideration your weight, cardiac pathologies ect).
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist