• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chronic small vessel white matter ischemic disease

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Is chronic small vessel white matter ischemic disease in the brain serious in a 25 year old heavy smoker
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Migraine related MRI finding

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern. Although more common in older age, white matter ischemic disease is a very common finding on MRI, especially in people with long term high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke and migraine.

The clogging or narrowing of the small blood vessels in the white matter lead to decreased blood flow in this area of the brain which, in turn, leads to injury of the brain tissue.
This does not necessarily equal to neurological problems because the changes are very gradual and this gives the brain time to compensate for losses in cells, without affecting its function.

Now, as I said, this is not common at such a young age, but being a heavy smoker can greatly affect the blood vessels, which makes it a very important risk factor.
I'm sure you are aware of this, but giving up smoking would be the most sensible thing to do, given the circumstances. Not doing so may result in irreversible brain damage as you age.
This should also improve your migraine headache, its frequency and severity, and decrease the need for medication.
I hope this answers your question. If you have further questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ornela Ademovi