Suggest treatment for chronic sinusitis and clogged ears

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: chronic sinusitis. started antibiotics and steroids 5 days ago. why do my sinuses feel worse? and i have clogged ear that I never had before. infection started 6 mo. ago
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
chronic sinusitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
As you have already started the antibiotics, continue it upto 7 day course.
If symptoms persists, then I would suggest you to consult with the doctor and get nasal endoscopy done. and if there is mucous still draining from the sinuses ,then nasal swab for culture and sensitivity.
Routine blood work which includes complete blood count, esr, random blood sugar, are recommended.
Depending on the reports, if infection is still more then intravenous antibiotics are recommended to control the infection.
CT scan is advised to check out the latest condition of the sinuses.
If there is severe blockage of the sinuses, then surgery is advised.
Your ears are blocked because of the eustachian tube catarrah. Once the sinusitis is treated, then blockage will get released.
Emperically you can do steam inhalation, apply decongestant nasal drops for nose, antihistamines + mucolytics combination drugs are prescribed.
Avoid cold items and oily foods. Keep yourself warm, avoid air conditioning.
I would advise you to consult with the doctor and get yourself treated.
Hope my answers have helped you. Pleased to help you further. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 38 minutes later
is it normal to feel more pain and pressure now that I'm being treated as opposed to when I wasn't being treated?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your follow up query.
In cases of chronic sinusitis, It is normal to feel the pain and pressure.
It us because of the congestion and blockage in the sinuses.
It is more in acute infection status.
Steam inhalation with anti inflammatory drugs will help you to ease it.
Please continue with the treatment advised and discuss my view with him.
Hope my answers have helped you . Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju