Suggest treatment for chronic rhino sinusitis with pharyngitis

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 28 Dec 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I have been communicating with a few doctors recently following acute bronchitis. This question follows these. Even though bronchitis cleared 2 months ago ever since I have had the following -
1. Thick mucus in throat which comes and goes
2. Severe tickle in mouth an throat
3. Wheeze in throat when mucus occurs
4. Sudden dry choking cough when mucus blocks throat especially when asleep

I do also have post nasal and allergic spasm in throat where I choke and wheeze if near irritant.

As this is still continuing I am worried there is something wrong with my throat. I have always been prone to upper respiratory infection causing sore throat and dry cough once a year in winter. Never had chest infections before. I used to be a light smoker too. Never seem to be a problem before but now has occurred each night. Especially irritated in air conditioning.

Is there something wrong or stuck in airway, something causing constant tickle, extra sensitive nasal and throat irritation? please advise.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Maybe suffering from chronic rhino sinusitis with pharyngitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your query; it suggests that you maybe suffering from the chronic rhino sinusitis wig pharyngitis.

In this condition I personally advised to that first go for some investigations to rule out the other disease, to reach the near diagnosis and to for proper treatment
1. Anterior rhinoscopy and posterior rhinoscopy.
2. Nasal endoscopy and oral examination.
3. CT scan of paranasal sinuses.

These above mentioned investigation are absolutely necessary for further management.

Either send me the report of above tests for further management or consult with your doctor.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
What is the cause of constant mucus? I can't cough it but just stuck in throat.
It makes me wheeze. The constant tickle in mouth and throat makes me choke in night and dry tickly cough at times.
What other serious things are you referring to?
Why would I get chronic rhinitis suddenly follow acute bronchitis? Mind you I had 2 uri leading up to it?
Brief Answer:
Constant mucus in the throat most probably due to the sinusitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your follow up query; and it suggests that constant mucus in the throat most probably due to the sinusitis. Here secretions from sinus drips into the back of throat (post nasal drip) leading to irritation as well as mucous plug in throat.

I am not referring to you to other serious things besides this infection in the nasopharynx and oropharynx. I will urge you to discuss my views with your treating doctor. I am positive we will have diagnosis after the test are done.

Acute rhinitis, subacute and chronic rhinitis are differentiated according to the duration of the disease. Sometimes symptoms that are subtle lead into chronic inflammation and thus chronic rhinitis.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
I will be see an ENT specialists in 2 weeks time but would like to know what the cause of this acute or chronic rhinitis and sinusitis is. I have a deviated septum and very narrow internal right nostril and have had mild post nasal drip over the years where it lasts for a week then goes for a couple of months but never like this. Previously just mucus in throat and dry cough. This time is constant tickle in roof of mouth and throat, makes me dry teach or choke and causes a wheeze when mucus is in throat. When mucus disappears the other symptoms do too. I have always had brief reactions to certain things such as paint, detergent, perfumes etc but now even a cold drink or cold air causes sudden coughing fit. The symptoms all feel in my throat but is it definitely the problem in my throat? Could it be somewhere else? Does chronic rhinitis go or is it suddenly a permanent problem? Would recent upper Resp infections have caused it or something else? It isn't throat cancer or anything bad at all?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms describe by you are in the favor of chronic rhino sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your follow up query; and the symptoms describe by you are in the favor of chronic rhino sinusitis.

For your kind information this disease is totally curable either by conservative management or by surgical approach but this depend upon the above mentioned test result.

No need to worry it is not the cancer or anything bad.

Persistent post nasal drip is the root cause of your throat problem and post nasal drip is the sign of sinusitis.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee