• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chronic recurrent focal osteomyelitis

Posted on Wed, 6 Jan 2016 in Lupus
Question: My daughter andI were talking, and I swim for exercise. I am ill with various auto immune disorders and am adopted so the buck stops here. She said she was thinking of swimming as she was having "hip problems". I asked about the issue further and she said "Two boney growths size of tic tacs noted on right hip bone. Comes and goes, brought on by running excessively ( runs 5 miles for exercise w/o problem).. Very tender to touch (it must be if causing her trouble running). I remember years back in my early 30s having same thing on left wrist. When daughter needed cast for gymnastic injury I showed the Ortho Doc who referred me to Rheumatologist. She was not very good because five years later Stanford diagnosed me with Sarcoidosis via brain biopsy. After my visit with Stanford her staff said I had never been seen before. I was too sick to deal with it,and never went back. Years latrr I wasreading and something about boney growths came up and I thought to myself, that's why she should have known to check for XYZ. I only have that to help you with.I am doing thi sbecause my daughter is a tough cookie. Shehad a kidney infection as a child and it only hurt "a little". Ihad similar abnormal reaction and it ended up being a clue to my illness that went misdiagnosed for five years (primarily due to Radiology saying all was well on the many Cts and MRIs of head).Obviously I have had my fair share of bad luck with diagnosticians in specialties mentioned. I do not blame them.I also had no medical hisotry to share with them they may have shed some light on my conditions. I have heard many horror stories of misdiagnosed rare illnesses. It's just human error. I do not want my baby to endure such. I am hoping to prevent this trouble and give us a few potentials so diagnostic tests and labs can be done. The least amount of inflammation from Sarcoids, if this indeed is Sarcoids, the better off she will be.
I'm very appreciative of your time andknowledge and know you are not diagnosing her but giving us information so we may bring this to a doctor who will diagnose her. There is a connection and I have just forgotten what was so significant about these growths that were tender and would come and go. Please help if you can.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Do you have any pics of those bony outgrowths , also tell me if they have redness and induration also . Plus I would like to see any tests that have been done so far of your daughter so please upload them so that we have a good understanding of her disease .Also if she has any associated features please mention.

Dr Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 hours later
She has had no tests. I will inform her that she just go see a doctor, Also, she is a grad student on limited income, Her father didnt put her on medical insurance so she will have difficulty getting seen. you were not much help. All i am asking is what would cause something like that.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

I understand your concern but it will be very difficult to help you out with this limited information still two entities that come to my mind are having bone cysts or chronic recurrent focal osteomyelitis .I think you should go through them and see if your daughters condition matches any of these .

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist