Suggest treatment for chronic pharyngitis

ENT Specialist
Question
Thanks, I have been suffering from what was diagnosed as Pharangytis. for 18 years now. I consulted scores of doctors, both homeopaths and allopaths, but ironically, none of them could provide me relief, not to speak of remedy. I have been consuming analgesic and anti-histamine medicines. Initially, Altima-D provided some relief, but now it is not available on the market, as this is presumably banned. Every night I take analgesic and anti-histamine tablets before I retire to bed. I suffer from constant pain in the throat and swelling occurs on both sides of the throat. Continuous irritation and itching in the throat. I have watery eyes, continuous secretion of mucus while eating, viscosity in the mouth, upper palate becomes soft and I feel slightly swollen. Sometimes I have dry nostrils which is very disturbing.
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
reflux needs to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Chronic pharyngitis due to infection sadly has no treatment. If it is the tonsils causing the symptoms then they can be surgically removed but if the entire pharynx is inflamed due to infection then only conservative treatment is available.
In persisting infections of the pharynx, chronic sinusitis needs to be ruled out.

As I said for chronic infection of the pharynx there is only conservative management. Some general measures should be followed. They are as follows -
1) Do warm salt water gargling 5 times daily. Make it a part of your daily life just like brushing your teeth. Everytime you come home from outside do warm salt water gargling. It helps to prevent infection.
2) Do not eat or drink cold drinks if you can avoid it.
3) Avoid using the airconditioning.
4) Always drink plenty of warm fluids and take care to remain well hydrated always.
5) Do regular steam inhalation 3 times daily.

Chronic irritation of the throat can also occur in reflux disease. In reflux disease , acid from the stomach refluxes back into the throat causing pain, burning, irritation and cough.

Please see an ENT specialist for the right diagnosis of your condition. If needed get an upper GI endoscopy done.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.