Suggest treatment for chronic pelvic pain

Posted on Mon, 13 Oct 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I'm 30 year old female with a 4 year old boy. I keep getting pelvic pain (closer to hip bone on left side on and off) sometimes I feel a discomfort when I stoop down or sit for a long time like how I used to when I was pregnant. Also penetration is painful at times. My gyn suspected cysts and reffered me to do a scan. First they did a normal scan and then a scan with a stick like instrument on my cervix. The doc asked if it hurts when she moved the instrument around. It did. The scan result said bulky uterus with very much hypertrophied cervix. My gyn gave some antibiotics and said I need to do a biopsy after the medicines since cervix is hypertrophied. I'm worried what it might be. Will I be able to conceive again? I do not take birth controll pills and have a single partner.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
TWO POSSIBILITIES - CERVICITIS OR ENDOMETRIOSIS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Since when are you having this kind of pain ?
I think there could be one of two possibilities.
THe scan done with a stick like probe is the vaginal ultrasound scan.
The pain felt while moving the probe is called probe tenderness.
It indicates infection of the cervix.
A hypertrophied cervix means that it is larger size than normal, and is infected, hence causing you pain.
The antibiotics will relieve the infection and inflammation and a biopsy afterwards will confirm that there is no other deep rooted lesion.
A Pap smear also should be done once the antibiotics course is over.
Cervicitis ( cervical infection ) is easily treated so do not worry.
ONce it is cured, there is no reason why you should not conceive again.
Another reason could be- endometriosis.
This is a condition where normally functioning uterine tissue spreads outside the uterus.
It causes painful periods, pain during intercourse and lower back pain.
If the treatment of cervicitis fails to resolve your symptoms, you should go for an MRI or a laparoscopy to diagnose endometriosis.
This condition can cause difficulty in conception and needs detailed treatment.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN