• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for chronic pelvic pain due to endometriosis

Posted on Wed, 23 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: My 41-yr-old daughter has had chronic pelvic pain for almost 2 years, since her cholecystectomy. This spring she had a laparoscopy and had some endometriosis removed, although some was left on the appendix and rectum as "not significant." Her pain has been steadily worsening for the past couple of months, and she's seen a lot of specialists. She's had repeated bladder and vaginal infections. At my request, her PCP ordered a new CBC that came back with a lot of high numbers (all x10^3): 15.9 WBC, 9.9 Abs Neutrophils, 4.1 Abs Lymphocytes, and 1.5 Abs Monocytes. Sounds like some serious infection or inflammation to me, but PCP seems unconcerned and offered to see her in a week.
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Endometriosis of the bowel can cause inflammation

Detailed Answer:
Hello and I hope I can help you today.
Endometriosis is a chronic pain condition of the pelvis where tissue that normally lines the uterus is present on other surfaces of the body. In your daughters case she has it on her intestinal structures which is impossible to remove without injuring the bowel. Endometriosis can cause severe inflammation in the body and on the bowel this can cause diarrhea and abdominal pain

The best medical treatment for endometriosis is pregnancy. After that hormone suppression, which is done by taking birthcontrol pills continuously, or a medication called Lupron, which suppresses menstruation which can be given up to 6 months- it frequently produces pain relief for two years. Finally, total hysterectomy is also a definitive solution.

I sincerely do not think that elevated WBC level is concerning being that the absolute neutrophil count is not abnormal in percentage.

I would try to be patient about this situation. Emdometriosis is a hard disease to manage and treat.

I hope I have answered your question adequately. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need anything else.

Best wishes, Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Answered by
Dr. Jacqueline Brown


Practicing since :1996

Answered : 1425 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Appendix

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my lower abdomen. Usually it is urine track infection. It comes more often. The last time I was at the doctor they did not fine...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I'm a 52 year old healthy female with no history of heart problems. I have constant medium pain last 48 hours in upper right torso near rib...

doctor1 MD

I have had a pain in my right side, around the rib cage spreading to my stomach and to my spinal cord . Skin is sore to the touch, burning an...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

189 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Jacqueline Brown
  • Q - Suggest treatment for irregular menstrual cycles post acupuncture

  • Q - What causes extreme weakness, fatigue and numbness during periods?

  • Q - Is pregnancy possible through oral sex?

  • Q - Can Femara be taken while treating infertility?

  • Q - What causes bleeding in cervix after taking Macrobid?

  • Q - How to calculate the length of menstrual cycle?

  • Q - Is there any relation between blood type and the ability to conceive?

  • Q - How safe and successful is VBAC?

  • Q - What causes burning sensation and itchiness in the vagina?

  • Q - What causes constant vaginal discharge in adult women?